March 23, 2011

Autism is treatable and reversible.

Before I was ready to admit that Aidan could have Autism, I watched a video from Autism Speaks that SCARED THE (insert expletive) OUT OF ME! It is called Autism Every Day, and it shows a day in the life of four mothers who have children with ASD. I cried out of fear during the entire video. One of the little boys reminded me so much of Aidan. He wouldn’t talk to anyone else or be with anyone else but his Mom, and he stood in one place shifting his weight from one foot to the other repetitively. Aidan would do this from time to time while watching TV. However, after I watched that video, I wanted to believe so bad that Aidan did not have Autism. Watching that video made me so depressed at the thought that this might be our life- divorce, bankruptcy, constant tantrums, and dangerous situations with no end in sight. Should I go ahead and just jump off a cliff now!? If Autism Speaks wants to push education and early intervention, they are doing a really BAD job. As a parent, you NEED hope. Hope that things CAN and WILL get better with early intervention or ANY intervention. Instead this video made me FEAR getting a diagnosis for Aidan.

Thank God for my friend that emailed me a video of J.B. Handley (the founder of Generation Rescue) describing why he felt that Autism is a misdiagnosis for mercury poisoning. WOW! Could this be true? Mercury poisoning? Kids recovering? Does this mean Autism is not forever? We can do something to truly help Aidan?

J.B. Handley, as controversial a figure as he is (and I don't agree with all of his views), was one of my stars in a very dark sky. Once I watched his interview discussing the recovery of many children using chelation, I googled his name and found the short documentary Autism Yesterday. This time I cried, but they were tears of joy. I imagined Aidan recovering just like the children in the video, and it gave me this feeling of power. All of the sudden I went from feeling completely helpless, to the Warrior Mamma who was ready to kick some ass!  That was the night I finally looked at the Jenny McCarthy book that a friend gave me, and knew I was ready to honestly look at whether or not Aidan had Autism.

Thank you J.B Handley. Thank you for shining a light on my child’s underlying health issue. I am truly grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment